Home » Latest News

38 arrested after Spain's construction plan stirs protests

MADRID, Jan. 12 (Xinhua) -- Twenty-two people were arrested on Saturday night in the Spanish city of Burgos, bringing the total of arrested people to 38 since a protest against a street construction plan started Friday night, officials said.

Twelve people were also injured during the Saturday night incidents that followed on from the disturbances on Friday in which people protested against a government decision to turn a four-lane road into a two-lane boulevard.

On Friday, a group of protestors threw bottles and stones at police, burned rubbish containers and broke shop windows. The violence ended up with riot police arresting 16 protestors.

The clashes on Saturday followed a march organized in support of those arrested and saw a further 22 arrests, eight of whom were under 18 years old.

Saturday's march involved over 1,000 people and had been peaceful, but then degenerated into incidents similar to those on Friday with street furniture damaged, street barricades erected and various baton charges by riot police.

Spanish media reports said there was more damage caused on Saturday than in the previous night. Local authorities held a meeting Sunday to evaluate the damage and consider what action should now be taken.

  • 沪ICP证:沪ICP备05050403号-1
  • |
  • 互联网新闻信息服务许可证:31120180004
  • |
  • 网络视听许可证:0909346
  • |
  • 广播电视节目制作许可证:沪字第354号
  • |
  • 增值电信业务经营许可证:沪B2-20120012

 

Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend