Home » Latest News

UN Security Council slams deadly attack on UN mission in Haiti

UNITED NATIONS, April 13 (Xinhua) -- The Security Council on Monday condemned "in the strongest terms" an attack on a vehicle of the UN mission in Haiti earlier in the day, which resulted in the death of a Chilean peacekeeper.

"The members of the Security Council looked forward to the completion of a full and comprehensive investigation to determine the facts and circumstances of the incident," said a statement issued to the press by the 15-nation council.

The council members expressed their deepest sympathy to the family of the fallen peacekeeper, to the government and people of Chile, and to the mission in Haiti, the statement said.

Sgt. Rodrigo Sanhueza was shot dead during a violent protest in Haiti, reports said, adding that he was providing security for a military vehicle traveling near the border with the Dominican Republic when the unit encountered a protest and came under fire.

The UN mission in Haiti, known as MINUSTAH, was established in June 2004 by the Security Council. The mission succeeded an interim international force authorized by the Security Council in February 2004 after President Jean-Bertrand Aristide left Haiti for exile in the aftermath of an armed conflict which spread to several cities across the small island country.

  • 沪ICP证:沪ICP备05050403
  • |
  • 网络视听许可证:0909346
  • |
  • 广播电视节目制作许可证:沪字第354号
  • |
  • 增值电信业务经营许可证:沪B2-20120012

 

Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend