Home » Latest News

Expert warns against inbreeding risk among Mongolians

ULAN BATOR, July 1 (Xinhua) -- A Mongolian geneticist has warned that his country should be aware of the risk of inbreeding among the population, local media reported Wednesday.

Enkhmaa Enkhee, a scientist with the Social Health Institute of Mongolia, said that the effects of inbreeding are being seen in the country as many children are born with health issues such as cleft lips and palate defects, cardiac disease and many other birth defects.

Enkhmaa said that his team has estimated the coefficiency of inbreeding among the Mongolian population, and then determined that 97.24 percent of this coefficient were direct inbreeding, and the remaining 2.76 percent were remote inbreeding.

The researcher blamed the division of the Mongolian population into small administrative units that restrict the free movement of people. There are 21 rural provinces, 370 rural settlements and 1,500 rural counties in Mongolia.

It is common for Mongolians in rural areas to marry within their community. Mongolia only has a population of three million and half of the population is concentrated in Ulan Bator, the capital city.

  • 沪ICP证:沪ICP备05050403
  • |
  • 网络视听许可证:0909346
  • |
  • 广播电视节目制作许可证:沪字第354号
  • |
  • 增值电信业务经营许可证:沪B2-20120012

 

Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend