The story appears on

Page A15

May 22, 2020

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Sports » Soccer

Kante stays away from Blues training

N’Golo Kante has been allowed to stay away from Chelsea’s return to training due to his coronavirus fears.

The French World Cup winner joined up with Frank Lampard’s squad on Tuesday as Chelsea resumed training following the English Premier League’s decision to allow socially-distanced sessions.

But the 29-year-old missed Wednesday’s small group practice with the blessing of Chelsea manager Frank Lampard, who is reported to have allowed him to train at home on compassionate leave.

Kante, who tested negative for the virus during this week’s first batch of checks, is said to be unconvinced it is safe to train with his teammates while the pandemic is yet to be subdued in Britain.

Black and ethnic minorities are at greater risk of serious illness if they contract the virus, according to the Office for National Statistics.

Midfielder Kante is understood to have mostly remained indoors with one of his brothers since the suspension of the EPL season on March 13.

The former Leicester star experienced a health scare when he collapsed at Chelsea’s training ground two years ago.

Tests did not reveal any heart concerns but he missed Chelsea’s next game as a precaution.

Kante’s elder brother Niamh died of a heart attack shortly before the 2018 World Cup.

Kante’s decision to stay at home comes after Watford captain Troy Deeney opted not to join his team for the resumption of training. Deeney’s young child has breathing difficulties and he did not want to put his family at risk.

Meanwhile, UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin expects the postponed Euro 2020 tournament to take place as scheduled next year, he told Spain’s El Mundo daily.

The Euros, which were to be held across 12 host cities between June and July, were postponed in March until 2021 amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Ceferin had said last week that there were problems with three of the 12 host cities, while stressing these concerns would not prevent the tournament from going ahead.

Speaking to El Mundo yesterday, Ceferin remained bullish about the tournament taking place in 2021.

“Yes I would bet on it. I don’t see why it shouldn’t happen. I don’t think the virus will last forever,” he said. “The situation is serious but it is improving and we are more careful now. We know more about the virus and for now I’m optimistic.”




 

Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend