The story appears on

Page A4

February 26, 2020

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro

1st critical case among 7 people newly released

ONE new coronavirus case was reported in Shanghai during the 12 hours to midday yesterday and seven patients were discharged upon recovery, including one who had been in critical condition.

This is the first recovered critical patient to be released, the Shanghai Health Commission said.

The patient, a 68-year-old man surnamed Yang from Wuhan, was confirmed with coronavirus infection on January 23. He has lived with his family in Shanghai since last year but returned to Wuhan at the end of 2019 to buy supplies for the Spring Festival.

Yang started to develop cough and fever days after returning to Shanghai on January 9. His condition deteriorated and he was transferred to Shanghai Public Health Clinical Center after being confirmed with infection.

He was in critical condition when arriving at the hospital and received trachea intubation on that day because of shortness of breath, said Dr Hu Bijie, a member of the coronavirus expert team.

Experiencing low blood pressure and shock, Yang was moved to an intensive care unit due to the severity of his condition. Experts provided individualized care for the patient and discussed his case twice per day.

He gradually recovered after regaining consciousness from a 13-day coma.

Yang was hospitalized for 32 days before finally being released yesterday. He expressed his gratitude to all the doctors and nurses who helped save his life.

“I was in coma upon arrival (at the Shanghai Public Health Clinical Center). But when I woke up, the disease’s already gone,” he said with emotion.

Yang’s wife, who didn’t return to Wuhan, was also infected with coronavirus. She suffered mild symptoms and was released upon recovery days ago.

“Our family can finally reunite,” Yang said.

Doctors said Yang’s recovery gave confidence to the entire medical team.

Meanwhile, another 13 suspected cases have been ruled out, said the commission.

The newly diagnosed case is a Shanghai resident who lives in Qingpu District. The man went to Henan Province with his family to visit relatives on January 20 and returned to Shanghai on February 9. He developed a fever on February 22 and went to hospital the following day.

So far, the city has reported 336 infections and ruled out 2,231 suspected cases.

268 patients recovered

According to the local health commission, 53 patients are stable, three are in serious condition and nine are critical.

A total of 268 patients have recovered and been discharged from hospital.

There have been three local fatalities so far. Another 60 suspected cases are undergoing tests.

“Patients should go to outpatient departments through reservation and show their medical cards or identity cards for real-name registration,” Zheng Jin, a spokeswoman of Shanghai Health Commission, told a news conference yesterday.

“Hospitals will publicize the service times for different departments and arrange schedules each hour to help distribute patients to avoid gathering,” Zheng said. “Everyone must receive a temperature check and epidemiological investigation when entering hospitals. People who come from key regions should visit the hospital after fulfilling the 14-day quarantine.”

She insisted all residents should wear masks and avoid gatherings until the fight against the virus is complete.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend