The story appears on

Page A5

April 25, 2013

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro

2 held for fire on historical villa

AN unlicensed welder and his supervisor have been detained for causing a fire on a historical villa on downtown Xinhua Road on Sunday, authorities said yesterday.

The city's fire department said the welder surnamed Luo hit an acoustic board while welding during an interior decoration work in a villa at 321 Xinhua Road, Changning District.

A manager surnamed Jiang of Shanghai Leijing Inner Decoration Co, who hired Luo for welding work, was also detained by the Changning District police yesterday.

The fire occurred on Sunday about 2pm when Luo was working on a chimney on the third floor.

Sparks fell into the chimney and struck the acoustic board that triggered the fire, authorities said.

Ten fire engines were rushed to the spot and firefighters had to break the tiles on the roof to put out the fire since the attic space on the third floor was very small.

A fire brigade officer said the interior of the villa was mostly wood and when he got to the scene, the roof was already burnt. The villa is part of a famous historical spot in Shanghai.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend