The story appears on

Page A6

July 10, 2020

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro

Alleged killer in net 33 years later

A man who allegedly killed his girlfriend in Shanghai 33 years ago was caught in south China, city police said yesterday.

The man surnamed Wu was caught in Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region at the end of last year for another criminal offense, and allegedly confessed about the murder to Shanghai police in May.

Wu allegedly killed his girlfriend in a residential complex in Putuo District on the evening of October 8, 1987.

He was immediately identified as the suspect, but since he had just come to Shanghai and had fled the city when the case was reported to the police seven hours after it happened, police couldn’t track him down.

Never giving up the hope to catch him, police in Putuo District got a call from their colleagues in Guangxi who caught him in another case, but Wu wouldn’t confess about the murder case in Shanghai.

Two police officers from the district, after a thorough study of the case, travelled to Guangxi to question Wu and finally made him confess.

Wu is now facing the charges, police said.

Police said they have caught 24 suspects in 22 murder cases that took place in Shanghai before this year so far this year and caught 15 suspects in 15 murder cases that happened in other provinces in China.

In another case, a suspect in a murder case that took place in a village textile factory in Fengxian District 26 years ago was finally nailed.

The suspect, a man surnamed Yin, allegedly killed two of his colleagues together with another colleague on May 20, 1994, and fled. While the other suspect was caught in September 1999, Yin had been at large over the past years.

This year, police in Fengxian District renewed their effort to search for Yin and noticed at the end of May that a person surnamed Yin in Dongguan City, Guangdong Province, was in contact with his family in Zhejiang Province, but this person had a slightly different first name.

Suspecting that this person was the Yin that they had been looking for, police caught him in a factory in Dongguan in June, and Yin has allegedly confessed.

Yin is now detained in Shanghai.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend