The story appears on

Page A4

December 16, 2011

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro

Apartment building fire puts 2 women in hospital

A fire swept an old, three-story residential building in downtown Jing'an District yesterday. Two women - a mother and her daughter - suffered smoke inhalation and were hospitalized.

Witnesses said the mother first "carried out an old woman downstairs from the raging fire" but later was stranded when rushing to save her daughter.

The fire was reported around noon in the Yugucun, an 80-year-old complex on Yuyuan Road. A heater on the ground floor was blamed for the fire.

The fire was seen coming from the first floor and soon spread to the upper floors, neighbors said. "Luckily the wind did not bring the fire to us," said a woman living next door.

The mother and daughter, living on the second floor, became stranded and later were saved by firefighters as the fire was put out, witnesses said. A fire station is located next door to the complex.

An old woman in her 90's was staying in the first-floor apartment. The woman upstairs and her husband helped to carry the old lady out, then came back to call their daughter. But the fire kept them out, and the mother and daughter suffered respiratory damage.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend