Related News

Home » Metro

Boy sent home as search continues

PUDONG New Area police were still looking for a missing girl yesterday, while her younger brother, awaiting her donation of blood and bone marrow, was temporarily released from hospital.

Police were continuing to search places they think the girl might have gone, including Internet cafes, and her picture and description had been uploaded to the city's public security network so that every police officer in every district of Shanghai now has her details.

Jiang Yuelan, 10, has been missing from her temporary home in Pudong since Tuesday.

Because today's transplant operation had to be postponed, Jiang's brother, four-year-old Jiang Shubao, was discharged from the Shanghai Children's Medical Center yesterday.

The girl's mother, Zhou Lianying, is paying regular visits to the Tangqiao branch of the Pudong Public Security Bureau on Lancun Road to check on progress while Jiang Dengkui, the girl's father, is checking nearby neighborhoods, streets and stores to look for clues.

"I have asked every resident in my neighborhood," he said. He shows a picture of his daughter to every passer-by to ask whether they have seen the little girl.

Jiang had been working in other provinces to make money for his son's treatment while his wife took the two children to Shanghai.


The family are from a small village in Guizhou Province.

Last summer, Jiang Shubao was discovered to be suffering from aplastic anemia, a condition in which the bone marrow does not produce sufficient new cells.

He was taken to the Shanghai Children's Medical Center in October last year, where doctors suggested a stem cell transplant. His sister was tested in December and found to be a perfect match. Doctors said there was an 80 to 90 percent chance a transplant would be successful.

The children's mother said earlier that her son had been taken into hospital on Wedneday to be prepared for the transplant that could save his life.

Police think the girl may have run off on her own, but probably hadn't gone far.

When Shanghai Daily told the family's story last month, a Singaporean working in the city promised 50,000 yuan (US$7,321) towards the family's 100,000 yuan medical bill.

"The Singapore national who promised to donate money called me in the early morning to ask about the girl after reading about her disappearance," said Xia Lin, a hospital official.

"We are keeping close contact with the family on the whereabouts of the girl."


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend