The story appears on

Page A4

October 21, 2011

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro

Bus driver in death fall appeal

A SHUTTLE bus driver has appealed for witnesses to clear his name, after a woman fell after leaving his vehicle and later died from her injuries.

Yin Qiliang, a driver at a supermarket in Yangpu District, insists that the 57-year-old passenger, surnamed Zhao, simply fell after getting off the bus on Sanmen Road on Sunday.

But a security guard who saw the accident said Yin drove off before the door had even closed, startling the woman and causing her to fall.

Zhao died in hospital the next day from injuries to her head.

Yangpu police were still investigating the case yesterday and had posted notices appealing for witnesses.

"We've located some witnesses and are seeking more," an officer said yesterday. "It's not appropriate to reveal details yet, but once we can, we will."

There are several surveillance cameras in the area but none seems to have captured the incident.

The accident happened around noon after Yin's bus had pulled over on Sanmen Road, after traveling from the RT-Mart on Huangxing Road.

Zhao was the last passenger to get off, Yin said.

"The next thing, I saw her on the ground about 50 centimeters from the back door, so I got off the bus to see what had happened?" Yin said.

Yin said his foot was still pressing the clutch pedal to the floor when he saw Zhao lying on the ground, so he couldn't have moved off.

However, a security guard, surnamed Xu, on duty in the lane gave a very different account.

"She was the last one to get off and the bus moved off again before the door was closed," Xu told the Youth Daily.

"The woman was startled by the noise, fell and hit the back of her head on the ground," claimed Xu.

Zhao began vomiting and Yin called the emergency services. She was conscious when the ambulance came, witnesses reported.

"There was some blood on her head but she could still move?" said the manager of a nearby foot massage parlor.

But Zhao's condition deteriorated after being admitted to the Changhai Hospital and she died on Monday morning.

Her family said Zhao lived alone.

"We don't know the exact circumstances yet, but the supermarket should take responsibility," said a woman who claimed to be Zhao's sister.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend