The story appears on

Page A5

June 29, 2012

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro

Chlorine poisons 9 at Baoshan pool

NINE people, including two children, were affected by chlorine poisoning in a gym's swimming pool in Shanghai's Baoshan District Wednesday night.

One, a man surnamed Wang, was still in serious condition yesterday. During emergency treatment, his trachea was cut open and he lost control of some bodily functions, hospital officials said. The incident occurred at Vera Fitness Club in Baoshan District.

City police said yesterday that gym staff were found to be improperly mixing chlorine to disinfect the pool, which led to the poisoning, according to an initial investigation.

The victims said they inhaled a smelly gas alongside the swimming pool about 9pm on Wednesday. Some fainted at the scene.

Wang was carried out of the pool, said a witness. A bucket of chlorine was seen being opened at the time of the incident.

Gym members said the pool usually is disinfected after 9pm each day.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend