Related News

Home » Metro

Cop held in NY death of local woman

THE family of a 26-year-old Shanghai woman who died in New York last Saturday after being run over by the car of an allegedly intoxicated off-duty police officer was preparing yesterday to fly to the United States to handle funeral arrangements.

Feng Guangqun, the father of victim Feng Huang, plans to make the trip with other relatives to claim the body and learn more about the events that led to his daughter's death. He is now waiting for word on when his US visa will be granted.

"We want justice," Feng told Shanghai Daily last night.

Feng Huang, who graduated from the Shanghai Institute of Foreign Trade, had been studying law in New York. She died at the scene of Saturday's accident in Lower Manhattan.

Her boyfriend, US native Dennis Loffredo, 26, who was with her at the time, was hospitalized with head and leg injuries. He was in critical condition yesterday but is expected to make a full recovery, according to US media reports.

US police said the driver, 25-year-old Martin Abreu, a Jersey City police officer since 2005, has been charged with vehicular manslaughter, assault and driving while intoxicated in connection with Feng's death.

Abreu was suspended from duty following the crash.

Abreu ran over the couple with his private vehicle near the woman's apartment, authorities said.

A woman who identified herself as the mother of the police officer told the New York Daily News that the victims crossed the street against the light and blamed the accident on them.

"It was her fault ... my son went out and had a couple of drinks. He deserves to have a good time now and then," the paper quoted her as saying.

US police did not confirm that the couple had crossed the street improperly.

"The charges surrounding this incident are most serious, and this type of activity will not be tolerated by the JCPD." Jersey City Police Chief Tom Comey said in a statement. "While Mr Abreu was in no way representing our department when this incident occurred, our primary thoughts are with the injured and the woman who perished. Our thoughts and prayers are with their families."

Feng said he is receiving help from the Chinese Consulate General in New York and the US Consulate General in Shanghai.

"Our hearts go out to her family and friends," said a spokesman for the local US Consulate. "In cases like this, we work with the family of the victim in order to process visas for the family members so they can travel to the US as quickly as possible."

Feng said the family got the bad news from a Chinese friend of his daughter who had received an e-mail from the hospitalized boyfriend.

"We were told it was the first thing he did after he regained consciousness because he felt it was his responsibility," the father said.

New York police rang them up around 4am and reported the woman's death.

"Police told me they usually keep a victim's body for only two weeks," Feng said. "So my top concern now is to get a visa as soon as possible."


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend