The story appears on

Page A4

July 12, 2011

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro

Cop stabbed but catches suspect

A man was detained yesterday morning for using a kitchen knife to seriously attack a police officer after robbing a convenience store of 400 yuan (US$61.88) in Huangpu District.

The 17-year-old suspect surnamed Lu slashed the patrolling officer twice in the back of the head and ear with a 20-centimeter-long kitchen knife as he fled the robbery scene at the Alldays store on Huaihai Road E. at 3:13am, Huangpu District police said.

The officer, Zhu Xuequan, 52, was bleeding badly but pursued the suspect for more than 500 meters with another officer and captured Lu on Yunnan Road S. by spraying pepper water in his eyes.

Zhu fainted after backup police arrived and was sent to a nearby hospital.

He suffered a 12-centimeter-long and 2-centimeter-deep gash in the back of his skull and another wound in his ear, but is now in stable condition.

The non-local suspect asked the saleswomen in the store to open the cash register and give him the money, said a saleswoman surnamed Wang.

"I said, 'Are you kidding me you little boy?' because the suspect looked young and shy," Wang said.

But Lu then took out the knife. Wang pretended to cooperate but called the police secretly by pushing a button under the table. She counted the money slowly to make Lu stay longer until the police came in three minutes, she said.

Lu got 400 yuan and ran out of the store after seeing the police, Wang added.

"The robber ran and waved the knife to me aggressively as soon as he saw me. I have never seen so vicious a criminal," Zhu, an 18-year veteran of the police force, told Shanghai Daily in a hospital interview.

Zhu said the suspect tried to kill him by plunging the knife down at the top of his head but that he partially dodged it and was hit on the back of his head and ear.

"I was enraged at that time, so forgot the wound to run to capture him," Zhu said.

"Zhu was rather lucky. If the wound is just a few centimeters deeper, he will leave us for sure," said Yu Mingkun, Zhu's attending doctor.

Zhu was taken to the hospital about 3:40am in critical condition, said Yu.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend