The story appears on

Page A4

July 27, 2011

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro

Falling glass woman has amputation

A 19-YEAR-OLD woman from Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province, who was struck by a pane of glass from a high-rise, had part of her leg amputated in Shanghai yesterday.

Doctors at the Shanghai No.6 People's Hospital removed the lower left leg of the woman, named Zhu Yiyi, as the tissue had died.

"Our checks found that her life could be threatened unless we amputated," said Fan Cunyi, a doctor with the hospital.

"But we kept her knee to make it easier to fit an artificial limb."

Zhu will be kept under observation for a week or two before further treatment, Fan said.

Her father, Zhu Meilong, said the family hoped that as much of her leg as possible could be saved.

"We understand that amputation was necessary here, but it's also Yiyi's wish that she still wants to look good."

The accident occurred on July 20 in Hangzhou, when a pane of glass fell from the 21st floor of a building and hit Zhu from behind.

After the accident, Zhu's family brought her to Shanghai seeking better hospital treatment.

First, they went to the Shanghai No. 8 People's Hospital, but Zhu could only be placed in the corridor as the hospital's beds were all full.

Later, she was taken to the Shanghai No. 6 People's Hospital.

Zhu, who works for an architectural design company, said she blamed no one for what happened, but hoped similar accidents would never happen again.

Meanwhile, Zhu's lawyers in Hangzhou are seeking compensation from the property management company, Binjiang Property Management Co, and the tenant of the floor of the building from where the pane of glass fell.

Earlier, Binjiang was prepared to offer only 30,000 yuan (US$4,659) compensation, but this would not even cover Zhu's medical bills.

Later, the company said it would pay for Zhu's medical fees, which exceed 40,000 yuan.

"But the tenant of the floor, which is a paper company, should also be responsible," said lawyer Dai Heping.

"Now a Hangzhou court is looking into the case, and the investigation may last for two to three months," Dai said.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend