The story appears on

Page A4

February 9, 2012

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro

Family of 5 die after connecting gas to heater

A family of five who bred tropical fish for a living died from lack of oxygen after they illegally connected their gas supply to the heater in their bedroom to keep themselves and their fish warm, police said yesterday.

The family's bodies were found Tuesday night in their apartment in suburban Fengxian District. Their fish were alive.

Shanghai police said the bodies of a man surnamed Zhu, his wife, son, daughter and son-in-law were found about 10:30pm after neighbors smelled cooking gas outside the family's apartment on Youdian Road, Fengcheng Town.

After investigating, the gas company found the natural gas supply in the kitchen had been illegally branched onto a heater in the bedroom with a rubber pipe, said a police officer surnamed Lu.

The temperature Tuesday night dropped below freezing in the suburban area, and the family's apartment was tightly sealed with all the windows closed to stay warm. The burning of the heater used up the oxygen in the room and the five died while sleeping, police said.

Li bred tropical fish for a living, police said.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend