The story appears on

Page A4

August 10, 2010

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro

Fire tears through old residential building

A FIRE ripped through an old building on Sunday night in Jing'an District.

The three-story building on Kangding Road caught fire around 8:30pm, ignited by leaking gas while a resident, surnamed Ma, cooked dinner.

Ma, from Anhui Province, lived on the third floor with his family. He suffered burns on his arms and was further injured when he jumped out of the building to escape the flames.

Lin Heping, a witness, said a fireman was also injured, but this was not confirmed by firefighters.

The fire spread quickly in the nearly 100-year-old building. About 30 families in the building are now living in nearby hotels after arrangements were made by the neighborhood committee.

Although residents have complained about the bad living conditions in the building for years, no repairs were ever made.

"The authorities promised to relocate us about five or six years ago, but they never followed up," said Zhang, 50, who lives in the neighborhood.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend