Share Story

Related News

Home » Metro

Gas leak kills 2, poisons at least 20

TWO people were killed and at least 20 were hospitalized for medical treatment in a gas leak accident in Shanghai's Hongkou District this morning.

Most of the victims are residents in four residential buildings on Xi'an Road when fire engines rushed there after receiving reports saying the area was wrapped up in strong gas smell around 8am.

One of the dead victims was a 50-year-old woman while the other was a man around 46, Hongkou police said.

Five of the hospitalized victims are in critical conditions.

Three medical staff who got gas poisoned in the rescue effort were also sent to the nearby Xinhua Hospital with the other victims, the local Chinese news Website reported.

Police condoned the area and are now combing through all the families in the four buildings to make sure all the residents have been evacuated.

Ten ambulances are now waiting at the scene while the district government set up an emergency team to handle the aftermaths, the report said.

Police said the leak was traced from underground, according to their preliminary investigation. The gas valve has been turned off in the area.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号