Related News

Home » Metro

Gas leaks take 3 more lives

LEAKED gas from water heaters killed three people and injured six in two separate accidents yesterday morning.

Exhaust gas from a water heater killed two and injured four living in a rented house on Wanping Road S. in Xuhui District about 9am. Neighbors smelled the leak.

A 26-year-old woman from Anhui Province and a Heilongjiang Province man aged 28 were found dead at the scene. Two men and two women were hospitalized and in stable condition yesterday evening. Large amounts of gas built up in the apartment after the six people had bathed.

In a separate incident, a restaurant owner was killed after carbon monoxide gas leaked from a water heater when she was bathing. Two neighbors were also poisoned.

The restaurant, on Jufengyuan Road in Baoshan District, closed at 3am yesterday morning. All staff members went upstairs to sleep while the woman took a bath on the ground floor.

She was found lying on the ground unconscious three hours later by staff about to open the restaurant. She was dead before the ambulance arrived.

A couple who ran a cell phone store next door were taken to hospital and were in stable condition last night.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend