The story appears on

Page A4

May 28, 2012

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro

Girl critical after drinking pesticide

A two-year-old girl critically sickened after drinking pesticide was receiving treatment in the intensive care unit of a local hospital after being rushed from Jiaxing, Zhejiang Province, to Shanghai yesterday afternoon.

The girl from a farmer's family was in critical condition when she arrived at Jiaxing No. 1 Hospital at 10:30am yesterday.

Her grandparents said they bought several small bottles of pesticide at a street-side stall and put them on a moped. The girl took a bottle, opened it by herself and drank it. The grandparents said it was ethyl thioethylsulfonate, a popular pesticide nicknamed 402.

The Jiaxing hospital lacked a specific antidote for the poison, so it contacted the medical emergency center in Shanghai. An ambulance brought a doctor from Fudan University's Children's Hospital with the antidote, called sodium dimercaptopropanesulfonate, to Jiaxing in the afternoon. The girl was then taken to Shanghai for further treatment under her family's request and was put into the ICU about 3pm.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend