Related News

Home » Metro

Hudec's residence to be restored as museum

THE former residence of Hungarian architect Laszlo Hudec will be restored with work starting as early as June to commemorate the legendary architect who left an indelible mark on the city's landscape.

The three-story building on Panyu Road was designed by the architect and later used as an office by a tourism school.

Changning District government officials have invited Tongji University designers to restore the building's original appearance -- exterior and interior -- based on historical records and photographs.

Hudec lived in the house from 1931 to 1937 and his belongings will be displayed in the house in the future.

It hasn't been decided how the villa, which has two subsidiary buildings, will be used after the restoration. Ideas include making a Hudec Memorial and starting a club for young architects.

The project is expected to be completed by the end of this year or early next year. Design work has already been completed.

The plan calls for the creation of a "Hudec Village" with nearby buildings also receiving a face-lift to match the appearance of the historical structure.

The 1920s through 1940s were prosperous times in Shanghai with modern, inspiring buildings sprouting up, including many designed by Hudec. His masterpieces include the Park Hotel, the Grand Cinema and Mu En Tang Church.
Most of the structures he designed are on the city's list of protected buildings.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend