The story appears on

Page A2

October 18, 2009

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro

Man dies after 26 taken ill

A MAN who was among 26 people hospitalized after they ate food at a delicatessen in Shanghai yesterday has died, local authorities said last night.

The 38-year-old man, surnamed Zhu, died in hospital while 10 others are still receiving treatment. Those with minor symptoms have been discharged, a local official said.

A total of 26 people were sent to the Pudong New Area People's Hospital yesterday afternoon after they ate food sold from "Zhibin Delicatessen" in Pudong.

They suffered symptoms of nausea, vomiting and rapid heartbeat, a Pudong New Area health department official said.

They were diagnosed with nitrite poisoning, according to the hospital. Most of those poisoned were migrant laborers. The owner of the delicatessen has been detained by police.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend