Related News

Home » Metro

Man in hospital after eating 3 boiled toads

A 70-year-old man in Shanghai was sent to hospital after eating three boiled toads believing it to be a folk remedy for his skin disease, Jiefang Daily said yesterday.

The man, surnamed Gao, had a skin disease for many years. He was told eating toads could help clear toxins in the body and was an effective treatment for skin diseases, the report said.

Gao boiled the toads into a soup and ate them. He started to vomit and feel dizzy about an hour later. He went into shock with his heart rate dropping to as low as 30 beats per minute. After emergency treatment and washing of the stomach, Gao was sent to the intensive care unit of Songjiang District Central Hospital, the report said.

Some parts of toads can be used to make medicines but are also toxic. These parts can damage the human central nervous system and digestive tracts, the report said.

"Folk remedies like eating toads to cure skin diseases or cancer don’t work," an unnamed doctor at the hospital told the paper. The doctor also said that in severe cases, eating toads could cause death from respiratory and circulatory failure.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend