The story appears on

Page A6

March 12, 2021

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro

Man sparks magnifying glass blaze

A MAN sparked a fire at the Shanghai International Tourism and Resorts Zone to prove to his son that a magnifying glass could ignite things, police said yesterday.

The incident happened on a lawn at the zone’s ecological park on February 21. No one was injured, police said.

The man surnamed Liu had taken his 10-year-old son to the park in the afternoon and used a magnifying glass to concentrate the sun’s rays on the grass.

After the fire started and began to spread, Liu fled the scene with his son and reported the fire, but didn’t say what had caused it, police said.

When firefighters arrived, over 2,000 square meters of the lawn had been burnt to ash. The fire was still burning but was soon brought under control.

After viewing surveillance footage, police tracked Liu down to his home on February 24.

He said he hadn’t expect his experiment could cause such a big fire.

Liu was given a warning by police and will pay compensation to the resort for the damage.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend