The story appears on

Page A4

June 27, 2013

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro

Man trapped by eatery blaze rescued

FIREFIGHTERS rescued a man who was trapped by flames from a fire at a restaurant below his apartment in downtown Hongkou District yesterday morning, and three people working at the eatery were detained for investigation.

Nearby residents were evacuated and no one was injured in the fire, which started at a street stall on Jiangxi Road N. about 8:40am, officials said.

The owner and two cooks at the restaurant, which specializes in fish, were taken away for questioning.

The fire started when the cooks allowed a flame used to heat a cooking kettle to spread, according to an initial investigation.

The blaze spread to the second floor but was quickly extinguished by firefighters. Police had to move crowds of on-lookers blocking the streets.

Local fire prevention authorities said they had asked the eatery to improve inadequate fire prevention equipment but it did not comply. The restaurant combined production, storage and operational functions in the same area, creating a fire hazard, officials said.

The city will wage a three-month campaign against fire hazards starting next month.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend