The story appears on

Page A10

October 18, 2021

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro

Old shipyard renovated into skate park

Shanghai’s once thriving shipbuilding industry, dating back to late Qing Dynasty (1644-1911,) has many abandoned yards along the Huangpu River.

With the city government determined to open the “best riverside resources” to its citizens, these industrial heritages have been redeveloped into parks, art stages, museums or sports venues.

As one of the latest projects, the city’s first riverside skate park opened on Saturday night at one of the preserved docks of the Jiangnan Shipyard, which opened in 1865.

The new Dock 1 Skate Park covers about 10,000 square meters on Longhua Road E. It features a roughly 3,000-square-meter professional skating field, the biggest and most professional in China.

It also includes sections for skidding, balance car, bicycle motocross and rock climbing, which are open to the public free, along with a hockey field.

Yuanwang-1, retired in 2010 after accomplishing about 60 aerospace missions, is being exhibited beside the park. It is illuminated at night as a historic exhibit.

The park is part of the efforts to create a 15-minute sports life circle in downtown Shanghai, said Shen Shanzhou, director of Huangpu District. Additional sports venues for exercises and training will be opened along the Huangpu River and Suzhou Creek, he added.

“The park is expected to refurbish the century-old industrial heritage and become a stylish city sports landmark.”

The shipyard was initially built in the late Qing Dynasty by order of Li Hongzhang (1823-1901), a politician, general and diplomat. It is known as the pioneer of China’s modern industrial development.

In its heyday, it had 13 factories for machines, ships, guns, gunpowder and steel and covered 43,000 square meters. China’s first batch of machine tools, cannons and motor vessels were produced at the site. The country’s first frigates and 10,000-ton hydraulic presses were also built there.

The shipyard was relocated to Changxing Island ahead of World Expo 2010. The former welding workshop, covering 7,000 square meters, was redeveloped as the CSSC Pavilion and is now preserved.

Another preserved dock of the shipyard beside the skate park will become the Shanghai Submarine Museum which will feature a retired submarine.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend