The story appears on

Page A3

January 24, 2020

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro

Restaurants hit with nianyefan cancellation

SHANGHAI’S restaurants are taking a big hit due to cancelation of bookings for nianyefan (Chinese New Year’s Eve dinner) because of the Wuhan virus crisis.

The Sunya Cantonese Restaurant on the Nanjing Road Pedestrian Mall said it had received more than 10 cancelation till early yesterday.

“We are making full refunds but some diners said they will take the cuisines home and pay the bill,” an employee surnamed Chen said.

Xing Hua Lou, one of the city’s oldest brands with a history dating back to 1851, said it has also received some cancellations.

The restaurant has more than 900 tables at its two branches, said Zhi Jing, Xing Hua Lou’s assistant manager.

Heji Restaurant has 12 outlets in Shanghai, and about 30 percent of the nianyefan bookings had been canceled.

The Shanghai Restaurants and Cuisine Association has asked restaurants to properly handle cancellation or delays of nianyefan banquet orders.

Some Shanghai residents canceled their nianyefan gathering plans altogether.

“I have canceled three gatherings during the holiday, including the nianyefan, and I will stay at home with parents,” said Lin Lin, a local resident.

“Most relatives were understanding,” she said.




 

Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend