The story appears on

Page A5

July 10, 2013

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro

Russian electrocuted in pool dies

A 26-YEAR-OLD Russian man died yesterday despite three days of treatment after he was electrocuted last Friday in a pool at a downtown shopping mall while trying to save his dog, Ruijin Hospital officials said yesterday.

Shanghai work safety administration said yesterday it would release a report of its investigation this week.

The man, who was in intensive care for three days, was declared dead at 5am yesterday. Hospital authorities said he died of multiple-organ failure and low body temperature.

The incident happened about 8pm in front of the SML shopping center in Huangpu District when the man took his dog for a walk. He was later seen lying inside a shallow pool, face down, along with his dog.

Witnesses said the dog jumped into the pool first and then the man fell while trying to pull the dog out. His heart had stopped beating and he was rushed to the nearby Ruijin Hospital. His heartbeat returned after receiving emergency treatment in the hospital.

An official with the district work safety administration said an investigation was going on.

The official pointed out that the lighting in the pool was controlled by computer. The administration found that the some lights were broken when the accident happened.

The authorities said there should be adequate protection from leakages in such pools, and the property owner should ensure that it is done.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend