The story appears on

Page A4

August 3, 2010

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro

Seniors saved from fire

TWO migrant workers rescued eight seniors from a burning seniors home in Zhabei District yesterday.

The rest home on Changzhong Road, which accommodates more than 60 seniors, caught fire around 11:30am. Four seniors were injured, with two women suffering serious burns, in the blaze. They are being treated at Changhai Hospital.

Faulty wires likely started the fire but the investigation was ongoing, police said.

When the fire started, migrant workers surnamed Xu and Zhu, who were decorating an apartment in a building opposite the rest home, were having lunch.

As soon as they saw the smoke, they shouted, climbed over a 1-meter-high wall and rushed into the rest home. After Zhu, an electrician, cut the power, the two carried eight people to safety.

"It's not a big deal," Zhu said. "Everyone would do the same thing in that situation."

Zheng, 89, who was saved by the two migrant workers, is in stable condition now after getting burns on one arm and her hair.

A gatekeeper at the rest home told Shanghai Daily that none of the facility's employees called an ambulance until police arrived.

The gatekeeper also said that the rest home didn't have firefighting equipment inside due to disorganized management.

Five fire engines were dispatched to the scene and firefighters took about one hour to extinguish the blaze.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend