Related News

Home » Metro

Short circuit causes shop fire

A clothing shop at the corner of Shaanxi Road N. and Weihai Road caught fire this afternoon but no casualties were reported. The fire caused temporary traffic jam but the roads cleared up after four policemen arrived to direct the traffic.

The fire occurred around 1pm in the shop. A passerby surnamed Zhu said, "I saw some smoke coming out from the shop. It was really dark inside."

When a Shanghai Daily reporter arrived at 1:35pm, smoke was still coming out the shop. More than 20 people were gathering around to see what had happened. Two fire engines were parked at the site.

The shop looked the same as before except the floor was covered with water used to extinguish the flames. Two shop assistants were sweeping water out of the shop.

A woman employee at a restaurant nearby said: "I heard that a short circuit on the second floor caused the fire. Maybe the wires are too old."

One of her colleagues called the police after he noticed the fire, which left nearby shops short of electricity.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend