The story appears on

Page A4

November 1, 2012

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro

Short-circuit causes tile to heat up

a SHORT-CIRCUIT has been found to be the cause of a very hot tile at a house in the Pudong New Area, officials said yesterday.

Experts said the short-circuit produced electromagnetic waves under the ground-floor tile, causing it to heat up to 69 degrees Celsius.

The deputy director of Tangzhen Town, surnamed Lu, said residents laid the wires without permission and didn't tell experts, which led to a misdiagnosis in the initial investigation.

"The safety hazard has been removed and the house is safe now," Lu said.

The landlady of the house, surnamed Huang, reported to the fire department on Saturday after she noticed the marble tile was very hot and feared it would explode.

Huang said the tile mysteriously began heating up last week and was first noticed on October 25 when water on the floor dried very quickly.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend