Related News

Home » Metro » Entertainment and Culture

Home of Soong Sisters now open to visitors

THE former residence of the Soong Sisters has opened to the public as a museum after a major renovation. The two-story courtyard dwelling in Chuansha, today's Pudong District, is the birthplace of Soong Ai-ling, Soong Qing-ling, and Soong May-ling.

The sisters later married the most powerful men of the Republic of China: Dr Sun Yat-sen, the father of the ROC; Chiang Kai-shek, the president of the ROC and its ruling Kuomintang party; and H.H. Kung, the finance minister.

The courtyard was built in 1859 by Shen Shuyong, a court secretary and a notable collector with hundreds of art antiques dating from the Han and Tang dynasties. The property was later bought by Charlie Soong, a missionary-turned businessman who made a fortune in printing. It was here the Soong Sisters spent their childhood.

The residence used to have three courtyards but only one still stands today. It is under strict protection. The original wooden wall panels and porcelain vases are carefully preserved.

The house also accommodated other important figures in the 20th century China, including Huang Yanpei, Hu Shi, and Zhang Wentian. It opens to the public for free from 9am to 4pm daily. Reservation is required for group visitors.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend