The story appears on

Page A5

December 19, 2013

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro » Environment

Nitrite poisoning kills 2 kids, 1 hospitalized

Two boys died and their grandfather feel sick after consuming nitrites in suburban Qingpu District yesterday afternoon, Shanghai Food and Drug Administration said.

The two brothers, aged 6 and 8, and their 76-year-old grandfather Yu Ganming were found unconscious at home at 1pm and were rushed to Zhongshan Hospital’s Qingpu branch.

The boys were declared dead at 2:15pm but the grandfather regained  consciousness.

They were from Anhui Province and live in a rented house in Yangjia Village of Huaxin Town.

Yu may have got the nitrites from a deserted delicatessen and used it to cook for three days.

Dry nitrites are typically white or crystalline powder and are mainly used for industrial production. The compound is toxic and inedible. Consumption of just 3 grams of nitrites can be fatal. Symptoms of nitrite poisoning include nausea, vomiting and rapid heartbeat.

Nitrite poisoning is reported every year and mostly caused by people mistaking it for plain salt.

In December 2010, more than 90 employees of a company in Minhang District were treated for nitrites poisoning after having lunch at the canteen. 



Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend