Related News

Home » Metro » Health and Science

20 get food poisoning at funeral dinner

MORE than 20 people who attended a big village funeral dinner became sick after eating unhygienic dishes - with six sent to a Pudong hospital on Wednesday night.

Diners had symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting and cold sweats after the feast.

All patients had left the hospital by 11am yesterday, the hospital said.

The funeral feast, with 30-round-tables, was held for a relative of a retired leader in the town. According to local tradition, relatives and friends of the dead should have dinner together on the funeral day.

All dishes came from a 10 square meters temporary kitchen, which was set up in two makeshift tents outside the urban management office of the Jinguiyuan residential complex on E. Huaxia Road. Black oil stains were left at the scene after the funeral dinner.

Residents said the office was often rented out as temporary dining place since locals preferred organizing feasts by themselves rather than going to a restaurant.

"The dining environment was bad," said a local food and drug watchdog. "The disinfection measures in the kitchen were also poor."

The family-held feast was not reported to the Pudong food and drug administration although officials pointed out that feasts of over five tables should be reported.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend