The story appears on

Page A4

November 30, 2012

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro » Health and Science

Boy has surgery to remove magnets

AN eight-year-old local boy is recovering well after surgery in a local pediatric hospital yesterday to remove two magnets that damaged his intestines when he swallowed them.

The magnets were in his body for nearly 40 hours before they were removed at Shanghai Children's Hospital. Doctors said one magnet was in the large intestine and the other in the small intestine. The two magnets endangered his health after clamping part of his intestines together, like a sandwich. They injured his intestines in three areas.

Doctors said it is unusual to have to open up the abdomen to remove swallowed items. Doctor Xu Weijue at Shanghai Children's Hospital said most odd items swallowed by children can be excreted naturally or removed through minimally invasive surgery with an endoscope.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend