The story appears on

Page A5

June 28, 2011

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro » Public Services

Child travel reminder

FOREIGNERS married to Chinese mainland residents and have children born in the mainland but hold a foreign passport were yesterday issued a reminder by officials.

They must get an entry-exit pass for their little ones before taking them out of China, the Shanghai Exit-Entrance Administration Bureau said.

This follows an incident in which a French man and his Chinese wife wanted to take their son, who was born in Shanghai, to France.

The father had got a French passport for the boy, but they were stopped by officers at the Pudong International Airport because, as far as police were concerned, the child was Chinese.

Li Feng, an official with the bureau, said the couple were shocked at being stopped and required to verify their son's nationality and obtain the appropriate paperwork.

They had assumed that as their child had a French passport, he had French nationality. Around 100 similar cases are reported annually at the airport, said Li.

To apply for an entry-exit pass, parents should take their ID card, passports, marriage certificate and the birth certificate and foreign passport of their child to the bureau on Minsheng Road in the Pudong New Area.

Alternately, parents can apply for a Chinese passport for their child. However, dual nationality is not permitted.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend