The story appears on

Page A5

December 2, 2010

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro » Public Services

Cleaner water starts to flow into city

SOME 750,000 Shanghai residents yesterday became the first people in the city to receive cleaner tap water from the newly built Qingcaosha Reservoir in the Yangtze River.

Residents in Caolu, Jinqiao, Sunqiao and Zhangjiang, all in Pudong, were the first of 10 million Shanghai residents - nearly half the city's population - who will get cleaner water by next June.

Water from the Yangtze is cleaner than water from the Huangpu River, which currently provides most of Shanghai with its tap water.

However, even the cleaner tap water is not drinkable before boiling in China.

The second batch, 4.2 million people in Yangpu, Hongkou, Zhabei, Luwan, Jing'an and Huangpu districts and part of Putuo District will receive the reservoir water from January 15.

Yesterday, Jinhai water plant, which was built in 2008 mainly for the 17 billion yuan (US$2.56 billion) reservoir project, began supplying water to 750,000 Pudong residents, while small water plants in the area were closed.

Qin Weixiao, a 40-year-old from in Caolu town, was impressed. He said the reservoir water looked clearer and had less of a chemical smell.

A predicted temporary drop in water quality during the supply changeover lasted only two hours, said Qin.

People will find the reservoir water "brighter, with a purer taste" compared with tap water from the Huangpu River, said Chen Guoguang, senior engineer of the city's Water Supply Inspection Center. The river now provides about 70 percent of the city's tap water, with the remaining 30 percent from the Yangtze.

Moreover, the water is slightly alkaline with a pH of 8, which is good for health, said Wang Hailiang, deputy director of the Pudong Veolia Water Corp, in charge of the water supply for the area.

The new reservoir should also ensure there will be no water shortages caused by saltwater tides, as it has enough capacity to meet the city's needs for 68 days, said Zhao Pingwei, deputy director of the center.

Saltwater pours into the Yangtze River mouth every year from October to April, threatening water quality in the city's waterways.

By June 15, about 10 million residents in Changning, Xuhui, Luwan, Jing'an, Huangpu, Hongkou and Yangpu districts, as well as parts of Pudong, Putuo, Zhabei, Minhang and Qingpu districts and Changxing Island, will receive water from the reservoir.

People in Baoshan and Jiading districts will receive water from the Yangtze from the Qingcaosha and Chenhang reservoirs by 2013.

By 2015, the 700,000 residents on Chongming Island will get their water from the Yangtze, following the construction of Dongfengxisha Reservoir, which will provide the same high-quality water as Qingcaosha.

People in parts of Qingpu and Minhang, part of Songjiang, Jinshan and Fengxian districts will continue using Huangpu River water.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend