The story appears on

Page A4

December 18, 2013

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro » Public Services

Water leak disrupts Line 2 morning services

A WATER leakage in the western section of Metro Line 2 yesterday disrupted normal services for six hours, leaving commuters stranded and looking for alternative modes of transport in the morning rush hour.

The Metro operator, Shanghai Shentong Metro Group, said that during a routine safety check staff discovered the leakage in the tunnel between Songhong Road and Hongqiao Airport Terminal 2 about 3am.

They, however, did not give any details or the cause of the leakage, neither would they confirm if water had entered the tracks.

Line 2 usually starts operation at 5:30am, but until 7:55am, both west and east-bound trains were operating on a single track between Songhong Road and East Xujing stations.

The long intervals left many commuters stranded at Songhong Road Station in the rush hour even though the Metro operator had arranged for 30 buses to shuttle them between the two stations.

By 8am, services between Songhong Road and Hongqiao Airport Terminal 2 were completely suspended. It was only partially restored at 9:15am with trains still running on just one track on the four stations.

While trains between Songhong Road and the Pudong airport were not badly affected, transportation hubs like Hongqiao Railway Station and Hongqiao Airport were badly hit, leaving a lot of travelers with heavy baggage looking for different modes of transport. Metro operator advised them to transfer to Line 10 to get to the airport or railway station.

Nanjing Road E. Station, a major transfer point for both Line 2 and 10, bore the brunt of delays as the number of passengers surged.

Authorities were forced to impose restrictions, blocking transfers on Line 2 stations like Nanjing Road E., People’s Square, Jing’an Temple, Jiangsu Road and Zhongshan Park.

Normal services only resumed six hours later at about 11:30am. Commuters can seek refund in the next seven days.

It was the fourth malfunction in a week on the city’s busiest Metro line, even though the previous delays have been brief.

“Why have there been so many incidents recently? I am starting to doubt if the construction of the line passed all the criteria,” asked a netizen “DR23” on Shanghai Metro’s official Weibo account. “What’s the point of saying sorry? It’s annoying to keep encountering such malfunctions especially during rush hours.”

But other commuters were more understanding. “Shanghai Metro is doing a good job in general,” said “YIYjoyce.” “Transfer information were being broadcast on related lines and stations all the morning.”

Line 2 ferries more than 1 million passengers every day.



Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend