The story appears on

Page A4

December 7, 2015

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro » Society

2 injured after gas blast

TWO people were injured yesterday after a natural gas leak caused an explosion in a residential building in the Pudong New Area.

Forty other residents were also affected by the blast, which occurred at 7am, the city’s fire department said.

The leak occurred in an apartment of a six-story building in Jiyang Road. The fire department said the blast was triggered by a spark when the tenant turned on the lights.

A man living in the apartment suffered burns on his face, while another person living on the third floor was hit by a falling object. More than 20 people were evacuated. The force of the explosion shattered several windows in the apartment block and nearby buildings.

Neighbors told that the tenant was seen staggering out of the apartment covered in blood. Clothes left out to dry were blown away up to 6 meters, they said.

“It was like an earthquake. A big bang woke me up,” a person was quoted as saying.

The local neighborhood committee and the property management company were helping to comfort residents and carry out repairs, it said.

The gas company also sent a team to examine the building to prevent further incidents. The owner of the property where the blast occurred has promised to cover the cost of the damage.



Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend