The story appears on

Page A4

August 21, 2013

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro » Society

5 die of gas poisoning at pickle factory

Five workers died and four others were hospitalized after gas poisoning in a pickle factory in Chongming County yesterday, according to the Shanghai Work Safety Administration.

An initial investigation found they were poisoned by hydrogen sulfide, which can affect the nervous system and could be fatal if inhaled.

The incident occurred at 2:55pm when nine people at the Sanshang Food Co Ltd in Luhua Town were working around areas where pickled vegetables were kept.

One of the workers fell down when he was cleaning a brine vat.

Eight others tried to rescue him but also collapsed, authorities said.

All the nine workers were sent to the Xinhua Hospital’s Chongming branch.

Five were pronounced dead later, two were in critical condition and the other two were reported to be stable.

Workers told that nine workers might have got electric shock in the pool but authorities haven’t confirmed it yet.

A full investigation into the incident is still under way.



Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend