The story appears on

Page A4

October 31, 2013

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro » Society

Court accepts Fudan poison case

Shanghai No.2 Intermediate People’s Court said yesterday that it will hear the case of a postgraduate medical student at Fudan University accused of poisoning his roommate.

Lin Senhao is charged with murdering roommate Huang Yang earlier this year.

No date for his trial was announced yesterday.

Prosecutors claim Lin dropped a deadly chemical in a water dispenser they shared in their room. Huang died 15 days after drinking the water.

Huang, 27, a postgraduate student from Sichuan Province, enrolled in Fudan University Medical School in 2010.

He felt sick after drinking water from the dispenser in his dormitory room on April 1 and later went to Zhongshan Hospital suffering severe abdominal pains.

Huang fell into a coma soon afterward and was diagnosed with liver failure. He died of poisoning on April 16.

As he told a doctor that the water he drank tasted strange, police investigated the  dispenser and discovered it contained N-Nitrosodimethylamine, an organic chemical highly toxic to the liver.

It is often used to induce liver disease in rats in cancer experiments in laboratories.

Police suspected Huang’s roommate Lin to be the poisoner and took him into custody.

After being arrested, Lin admitted poisoning his roommate, said police.

Lin is said to have told police  he stole chemicals from the university and injected them into the dispenser on March 31.

Police said Lin’s motivation may have been “some trival matter” which made him bear a grudge against Huang.

Officers say he did not give a reason for his actions, but suggested it was an April Fool’s Day joke — something discounted by investigators.

One report said Lin, Huang and another roommate, Ge Lin, quarreled over who should pay for the water barrel.

Huang and Ge suggested that they split the money equally but Lin was unwilling as he claimed that he drank less. Lin ended up buying the water container on March 31.

The case revived interest in an unsolved case from 1994, where a student at Beijing’s Tsinghua University suffered thallium poisoning.

Zhu Ling, now 39, suffered neurological damage, facial paralysis and the loss of nearly all her speech and eyesight. Her roommate was a suspect but the case was never solved.



Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend