The story appears on

Page A5

January 14, 2014

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro » Society

Court hears horror story of a man who went on rampage, killing 6

Wrapped in a blue gown and a camouflage waistcoat, 62-year-old Fan Jieming stood trial for the killing of six people yesterday at the Shanghai No. 2 Intermediate People’s Court.

Inside, Fan was wearing a strait jacket. The court heard that he had injured himself while in detention.

Fan is charged for killing six  and injuring four others with guns and an iron pipe on June 22 last year.

Prosecutors told the court the six who died in the shooting spree included four of Fan’s colleagues, Zhang Yunfeng, Li Zhizhong, Wang Ronghai, Xia Huanhuan, an unlicensed taxi driver Bian Shijie and a military barrack sentinel Kong Bo.

Three of his four colleagues were murdered due to a dispute in the company on division of materials and facilities after the chemical company in Baoshan District halted its production in May.

“I regretted that I killed them, especially the innocent cabbie and the young sentinel,” Fan replied after his lawyer asked him if regretted the killings. “I used to be a soldier and I also have a family. I want to say I am sorry to the victims’ families.”

Calm and indifferent

In a calm and indifferent voice, the former office administrator of the company recounted that horror night to the court.

“My son and I climbed over the wall and got into the factory to take the stainless steels which belonged to me. My gun and ammunition were hidden in my dormitory.

“I hid my son in a hardware warehouse and then met my colleague Zhang Yunfeng outside the warehouse. I found the warehouse had been broken in and some of the materials were  missing. I asked him if he had taken them.

“We had a dispute during which he hit me. So I decided to spray sulfuric acid on him.”

Fan then left and came back with some sulfuric acid he found in his dormitory. He and Zhang entered the warehouse to check the materials.

“He found my son and abused us saying we were planning to take over the property. He threatened to kill my whole family, which made me furious. After spraying sulfuric acid on his face, I took an iron rod and beat him on his head to death. My son helped me to clean up the place.”

But Fan’s son He Hefeng, who also present in court, said his father asked him to stay in the warehouse and hit Zhang with an iron rod about one hour before Fan returned with him. He found Zhang who was already injured by acid and crouched down. He struck Zhang but got frightened when Zhang collapsed. Fan then picked the rod He threw away and hit Zhang in the head several times.

Fan said after cleaning the warehouse he asked his son to go home. He locked the warehouse door and then took a hunting rifle and bullets and hid them in his dormitory. He heard his colleagues talking that Zhang was missing.

“I changed clothes and went out. Two people said they searched for Zhang almost everywhere in the factory except the warehouse which was in my care. I told them I killed Zhang when they asked for the key.”

Hidden weapon

Fan got into his car after the two went into the warehouse. He drove to his ex-wife’s apartment in the Pudong New Area and took a pistol and ammunition which he had kept there.

He then got into an unlicensed cab with the intention of stealing the car and fleeing to Anhui Province, where his sister lived.

“I pointed my rifle to the driver after I asked him to pull over. We got out but he thought it was a toy and tried to grab it. I shot him on the chest and killed him,” Fan said.

“After that it didn’t matter to me if I killed two or more. I drove the taxi to the company to take my revenge.”

Fan went looking for more  guns and drove to the gate of a military barrack. He shot two sentinels, killing one of them, Kong Bo, and seriously injuring the other, and grabbed the automatic rifle from them.

When he drove at the gate of the factory about 11:10pm, he saw the factory owner Li Zhizhong and a colleague Wang Ronghai standing there.

More killing

He shot both of them with the hunting rifle and went looking for two other colleagues with whom he did not get along. While passing by he shot two people in the guards room, killing Xia Huanhuan and injuring the other.

When police arrived at the factory, Fan attempted to shoot a police officer. But he was overpowered by police. During the tussle, Fan hurt one of the officer in his knee with the stolen automatic rifle.

Police also found three air guns  from Fan’s place. 

Fan bought the guns and ammunition for 10,000 yuan (US$1,654) from another man Zhang Yuliang decades ago. Both of them then worked in a concrete factory. Fan, who was the chief of security at the factory, had spoken to Zhang Yuliang about the quality of gun they had. Zhang Yuliang then helped Fan to buy a hunting rifle from one of his friends. 

Zhang Yunfeng’s sister Zhang Hongyu watched the proceedings from the public gallery.

“My brother’s youngest son is only five years old,” she told Shanghai Daily. “He was a good-tempered person. He might have abused at Fan but I don’t believe Fan’s version that he hit him.”

She said Zhang had worked for Li Zhizhong for several years and had only been in Shanghai for eight days when he was killed.



Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend