The story appears on

Page A4

December 23, 2010

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro » Society

Extra years for face-slashing attack

A MAN who left his girlfriend scarred for life after repeatedly slashing her face and strangled another woman until she lost consciousness has had his prison sentence increased, a local court said yesterday.

Yang Chunfu, a Jiangsu Province native, attacked his girlfriend surnamed Weng, inflicting dozens of wounds that required 200 stitches, because she wanted to end their relationship.

The other woman was assaulted in a case of mistaken identity.

Yesterday, Yang was sentenced to 11 years in prison in the final verdict, after prosecutors lodged a protest against a seven-year sentence at the first-instance judgment.

Prosecutors of the Shanghai No. 2 Intermediate Prosecutors' Office said Yang used cruel means to injure his girlfriend and that his actions had very serious consequences.

The woman, in her 20s, was left disfigured with several long scars on her face.

Yang, in his 40s, worked at a local accounting firm. He met Weng in June last year after she placed a personal ad seeking a partner.

Yang did not tell her he was married, but during their relationship Wang discovered that he had a wife and a son in his hometown.

Enraged, Weng insisted that she was ending their relationship, even though Yang begged her not to.

Yang then decided to kill her, and on the early hours of November 10 last year, he went to the chess club where Weng worked.

After learning from a colleague where Weng's dorm room was, he crept into a darkened room and saw a sleeping woman he took to be Weng. Yang hit the sleeping woman and strangled her until she lost consciousness. Yang then realized that it wasn't Weng, and that he had gone to the wrong room.

He then found Weng sleeping in her room and stabbed and slashed her face using a knife he'd taken from the kitchen.

Though Weng begged for mercy after she awoke, Yang continued to stab her until he was restrained by police.

Yang was sentenced to seven years in prison after the first-instance trial for attempted murder.

Prosecutors lodged a protest, saying Yang had tried to kill two people successively, which indicated his disregard for life, and used cruel means.

His second attack has left the victim disfigured, a fact that was not fully considered by the court of first instance.

In addition, Yang showed no regret at the hearing and had denied that he had tried to murder the women, prosecutors added.

The counter appeal was supported by the Shanghai No. 2 Intermediate People's Court which added four years to the first-instance sentence.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend