The story appears on

Page A5

April 12, 2011

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro » Society

Man admits to killing mother

A MAN who has admitted to killing his mother told a Shanghai court yesterday that "she didn't care about my life at all."

Lin Cijian, 27, remained calm as his lawyer told the Shanghai No. 1 Intermediate People's Court that his client was mentally unhealthy at the time of the attack.

Lin said he had even considered committing suicide before the alleged murder because he had been unemployed almost constantly since graduating from university in 2007.

The Mental Health Center told the court Lin had passed a psychological test, was mentally healthy and should bear full responsibility in the case.

Lin told the court his mother, Zhao Hui, took care of him well in terms of "daily living" but that "she didn't care what I was thinking."

"Generally speaking, we had a good relationship except that she was always tough when we quarreled," the defendant said.

Lin quarreled with his parents often because he didn't want to work, the court heard. After graduating he quit two separate jobs after working for just a month at each one because they were "too painstaking."

The parents offered him 200,000 yuan (US$30,581) to invest in the stock market though they were unsatisfied with his lack of ambition.

On October 12, Lin asked to move out because he thought his parents didn't treat him well enough. He asked his mother to return the 30,000 yuan he had earned from stock investments. She refused and a heated argument erupted in their home in Changqiao No. 5 Village in Xuhui District.

The court heard Lin even threatened to run away.

"I actually thought of committing suicide if I was driven out. But she didn't seem to care about my life at all," the defendant told the court.

After his mother had insisted on calling Lin's uncle to be a witness, Lin stabbed her with a knife in the neck, face and chest, prosecutors said. Prosecutors also said Lin later set fire to the room in a bid to destroy the evidence while he argued he just didn't want to see the brutal scene again.

He fled and called his father. Lin surrendered to police the next day.

The court didn't announce a verdict yesterday.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend