The story appears on

Page A5

July 5, 2012

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro » Society

Parents blame son's death on friends, hotel

THE parents of a drunken young man who died of alcohol poisoning in a budget hotel in Shanghai have filed a lawsuit demanding nearly 800,000 yuan (US$125,972) compensation from the hotel and their son's friends, Xuhui District People's Court said yesterday.

The plaintiffs said their 27-year-old son, surnamed Gu, was urged to drink too much by three friends in a restaurant on December 23.

One of the three friends left the restaurant early while the other two put Gu on a trolley and took him to a room on the ninth floor of a Motel 168 outlet on Humin Road.

The pair left at midnight. Gu was found dead by a hotel employee the next day. A hospital confirmed Gu died of alcohol poisoning.

Gu's parents sued the three friends, saying they knew their son was drunk and unconscious but still abandoned him in the hotel.

The friends said Gu was late for their gathering, so they asked him to drink liquor.

They also argued Gu was an adult who should know how much he could drink and be responsible for his own behavior.

The grieving parents sued the hotel because it allowed their son and his two friends to check in with only one identification card.

Hotels are legally required to register the IDs of all guests.

The hotel refused to explain in court why they let the three check in with only one identification card, but said it was the first to discover Gu's death and completed its obligation to check the room.

A verdict was not reached.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend