The story appears on

Page A5

July 3, 2013

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro » Society

Vendor told to compensate kid

A STREET vendor has been ordered to pay more than 74,000 yuan (US$12,062) to the family of an eight-year-old boy who was scalded by a boiling pot that was on his tricycle, the Pudong New Area People's Court said.

The vendor, surnamed Chen, who sold breakfast, left his tricycle in the yard of his rented house when he finished work at noon on September 8, 2012, with a boiling pot on the coal stove still on it. The boy, identified as Fan Fan, hid behind the tricycle while playing with his friends and knocked over the pot, spilling the hot water all over him. Serious scalds were found on Fan's torso, hip, perineum, legs and arms after he was rushed to the hospital.

Fan's family filed a suit in the court and asked Chen to pay them over 90,000 yuan, including 60 percent of the medical fee and compensation for disability, 5,000 yuan for counsel fee and 6,000 yuan for mental suffering.

The court said Chen should compensate Fan for leaving dangerous object in public place and failing to guard it. But it also said Fan's parents were also to blame for not looking after the child.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend