Related News

Home » Nation

3 die trying to get warm

THREE people died from carbon monoxide poisoning yesterday at a motel in Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province. Another three people are in hospital for emergency treatment.

All six victims were sharing a room at the Wuhe motel in the Hengtang area.

They allegedly burnt charcoal in the center of the room and sealed the door and windows to get warm but were poisoned by the fumes, China News Service reported.

A plate with charcoal was found in the room, a witness said.

The fatalities were two men and a woman.

Of the survivors, one is in a stable condition, one has regained consciousness while the third is still in a deep coma, according to the report.

The motel is next to a local hub for truck freight and many truck drivers stay there.

One driver told the news agency that the price for a bed overnight was about 20 yuan (US$2.93) with air-conditioner fee excluded and many drivers would burn charcoal instead of switching on the air conditioner to save money.

The area has a dozen such motels to serve truck drivers, the report said.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend