Related News

Home » Nation

Autopsy confirms hotel chef's death was a suicide plunge

AN autopsy has confirmed that a chef whose mysterious death had created public disturbances committed suicide, a government spokesperson with Shishou City, central China's Hubei Province, announced yesterday.

The chef's body was cremated at 4am and a funeral was held around 9:30am yesterday.

Tu Yuangao, a 24-year-old chef at Yonglong Hotel in Shishou, was found dead outside a hotel on June 17.

A pathologist told Tu's family that Tu had died from lung failure after 750ml of blood flooded his lungs after he struck the ground, one of the chef's family members said.

The city government said, citing the autopsy report, Tu died after falling from the hotel as he suffered several bone fractures and also his liver had broken.

Witnesses told investigators that they heard a heavy object hitting the ground shortly before Tu was found dead. They didn't hear any cry for help before the fall.

Forensic experts didn't find any toxic substance in Tu's body, ruling out the possibility of poisoning.

After his death, Tu's family refused to let his body be taken from the hotel by police for days, claiming the authorities were trying to cover up a murder. At that time, police had said it was a suicide.

Thousands of protesters gathered at the hotel last Friday. Some of them torched the hotel and overturned police cars to stop authorities from taking the body. Roads were blocked, windows broken and police could not get through to remove the body. A fire engine was also damaged, Xinhua news agency reported earlier.

There were no reports of injuries during the unrest.

The corpse was finally taken to a morgue for an autopsy after order was restored on Sunday.

Experts from the Ministry of Public Security and Wuhan-based Huazhong University of Science and Technology conducted the latest autopsy on Tuesday, using X-rays and checking for poisons, the spokesperson told, a provincial news portal.

Police confirmed that a suicide note found in Tu's dorm was written by the chef.

Two autopsies were conducted on Tu's body.

The first was completed on Sunday, the day Tu's family agreed to let authorities take the body. Tu's family witnessed both autopsies.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend