Related News

Home » Nation

Boy poisoned by mercury after drinking Sprite

CANS of Sprite drink have been poisoned in Beijing by unknown persons, Beijing Coca-Cola Beverage Co said today after a boy was poisoned by mercury after drinking the soda.

The company said it has checked every production procedure and is sure no mercury has ever been involved in production.

It said it will cooperate with the police investigation and said the contamination occurred after the drinks left the factory, today's Beijing Times reported.

Wang Cheng, 13, a student with Tongxian County No.2 Middle School, bought a can of Sprite dated August 2009 at a supermarket near his school on January 17.

He took a sip but found it tasted like jelly, he told the Beijing Times. His father poured the rest into a glass and found a bean-sized mercury ball.

The boy complained of thirst half an hour later and soon felt dizzy. He was sent to Beijing 307 Hospital where he was diagnosed with mercury poisoning.

Police took the rest of the Sprite with the same production date away for further examination, the supermarket owner told the Beijing Times.

Coca-Cola sent samples of the Sprite in question to Chaoyang District quality authority for examination but no mercury was detected, said its public affairs official surnamed Li.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend