Related News

Home » Nation

Hotel blaze firefighter dies of smoke inhalation

AN officer who was among the first firefighters to respond to a fire at an unfinished luxury hotel next door to the headquarters of China Central Television in Beijing died in hospital despite receiving emergency aide.

Zhang Jianyong, deputy chief of a fire station in Beijing's Hongmiao, entered the building with four firefighters to investigate the situation but lost contact with headquarters shortly after, Xinhua news agency reported today.

Zhang, five other firefighters and one other person were trapped in the 44-story Mandarin Oriental hotel. They were rescued about 11:30pm and sent immediately to a nearby hospital.

Zhang, 30, died at 3am due to smoke inhalation, the report said, citing Luo Yuan, a spokesman of the municipal fire control authority.

The fire that swept through the secondary tower of the CCTV complex was caused when an individual lit powerful fireworks without approval from authorities, according to Xinhua.

The blaze started on the 30th floor of the 44-story building at 8:27 pm yesterday and was put out at 2am today.
Flames 10 meters high shot out of the building, just north of the landmark CCTV tower designed by Dutch architect Rem Koolhaas. The flames reflected in the CCTV tower's glass exterior.

"CCTV hired people from a fireworks company to ignite several hundred large festive firecrackers" in an open space outside the hotel, Xinhua quoted Luo as saying.

He said these fireworks, set off to celebrate the Lantern Festival, were among the products that needed approval from the municipal government.

"Owners of the property ignored policemen's warnings that such fireworks were not allowed," Luo was quoted as saying.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend