The story appears on

Page A7

December 23, 2009

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Nation

Probe begins into officer's detention

PROSECUTORS in an Inner Mongolia city have begun an investigation into a decision two years ago to force a police officer to stay in a mental institution after he complained to authorities about unfair treatment.

Four officers and two medical staff burst into the watch room of a police station in Hulun Buir City of Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region on December 10, 2007, subduing officer Gao Zuoxi by injecting him with an unidentified drug. The next day he woke up in a local mental hospital, the People's Daily reported on its Website yesterday.

The action had been ordered by Gao's supervisors including Xu Chenming, the director of Daxing'anling branch of Hulun Buir Public Security Bureau, and several of Xu's deputies.

Senior officers made the decision during a meeting at the police station because they could no longer tolerate Gao's going over his immediate supervisor's head to complain to the Ministry of Public Security for allegedly being discriminated against by his supervisors and colleagues.

Gao's complaints started in October 2005. He had been diagnosed with depression because he thought he had been unfairly treated by his supervisor over an assault against him while he was on duty on June 14, 2005.

Gao was beaten up when he was at the scene of suspected vandalism. However, no suspects were arrested initially and his immediate supervisors responded negatively to his request to detain the suspects, according to Gao.

It wasn't until the end of August that the director of the Hulun Buir police ordered action over the assault.

A suspect was detained on September 9, 2005, but Gao said he was forced by his supervisor to reach a settlement with the suspect to clear the case.

Gao said he was isolated in the police station from then on. He had felt depressed since the alleged assault and his illness was diagnosed by a Beijing hospital on July 8, 2005, the report said.

Gao never stopped complaining over the following two years and even visited the Ministry of Public Security.

The Daxing'anling branch received a warning from the ministry and the public security department of Inner Mongolia as complaining over the head of an immediate supervisor was strictly banned, according to the report.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend